2FA (2-Factor Authentication)
As a Yellow Card user, we know that your main goal is to not only have access to the entire universe of crypto-currencies, but also to be able to trade with the means at your disposal like your local currencies (XAF, XOS, BWP, Rfr, NGN, etc.). What if we told you that you should add one more goal at any cost, and not the least: your security.
As a user of the best Crypto Exchange in Africa
yes, Yellow Card, you’ll be required to set up two-factor authentication (2FA) on your account, providing you with an extra layer of security should your username and password be compromised. With 2FA set up on your account, you’ll be prompted to take an additional action alongside entering your password when you log in. This additional action can be 1) a one-time passcode that is generated by an authenticator app, or 2) a one-time passcode delivered via an SMS message.
Why is it important to enable 2FA?
Since cryptocurrency can’t be recovered if it is stolen in most cases, two-factor is extremely important when using cryptocurrency exchanges like Yellow card. So we, at Yellow Card, believe that two-factor really isn’t an option, but a necessity for your security and serenity.
The 2FA on, you will be notified every time someone else tries to gain access to your currency before they actually seize them.
Note: Never give out your 2FA (2-Factor Authentication) security codes or passwords. Yellow Card staff will never ask you to share sensitive authentication credentials
How 2FA works
When 2FA is activated on your account, you will be required to enter not just your password when trying to login to your account. A unique code will be required to ensure that it is indeed you trying to get into your account. What this means is that even if your password is compromised, your account will still be secured.
How to activate 2FA on the mobile app
- Tap Profile at the bottom.
- Select Security.
- Select Two-factor Authentication.
- Select Authentication App (Text Message is activated by default).
- Follow the prompt to set up.
How to activate 2FA on the web app
Text Message / SMS
By default, this method is activated on your account. Every time you try to log in, a 6-digit One Time Password (OTP) will be sent to your registered phone number.
If you cannot receive text messages due to poor network reception or because DND is activated on your mobile number (see how to turn off DND here), you can get the OTP via USSD or WhatsApp.
Instead of receiving an OTP via SMS, you may use an Authenticator app instead. While there are several authenticator apps, we recommend using Google Authenticator.
If you use an android device, you can download Google Authenticator.on Play Store.
Once the app is installed on your device, login to your Yellow Card account and go to “Settings”. You can get to the Settings page by clicking the dropdown menu beside your account name in the top right of your screen.
- On the Settings page, navigate to the “Security” section. Select 2-Step verification and select "Authenticator App".
- Copy the Authenticator Secret Code and back it up somewhere safe. Because the authenticator app is linked to your device, if you misplace your device, you will need the Secret Code to link your Yellow Card account to the app on your new device or else you will not be able to access your account.
- Open your authenticator app and tap the add button (+) in the lower right corner of your screen. Select “Enter a setup key” and Enter “Yellow Card Financial” as the Account name. Input the Authenticator Secret Code you copied in the “Your key” field. Leave the type of key as “Time-based” and tap the “Add” button to complete the setup.
- Copy the 6-digit code under Yellow Card Financial and enter it in the space provided and confirm. 2FA is now activated on your account. Next time you try to login to your account, you will be required to enter the 2FA code from your authenticator app.
- Please note that the 2FA code from your authenticator app changes every 30 seconds. If you do not use a code before the time runs out, it becomes invalid and you will have to get another code.
Alternatively, you can login to your Yellow Card Account on a computer and navigate to the Security tab in the settings. In the Security tab, select Authenticator App under “2-Step Verification”.
Open the authenticator app on your phone and tap the “Add” (+) button in the lower right corner of your screen and select “Scan a QR code”.
Scan the barcode on your computer screen. This will add “YellowCardFinancial” to your authenticator app.
Input the 6-digit code from your authenticator app into the space provided in your Yellow Card Account and confirm.
2FA is now active on your account.
Next time you try to login to your account, you will be required to enter the 2FA code from your authenticator app.
Please note that the 2FA code from your authenticator app changes every 30 seconds. If you do not use a code before the time runs out, it becomes invalid and you will have to get another code.